Re: [bos-dev] When is an RTS complete? [long]

servalkatze@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
after reading the "When is an RTS complete?" page on your wiki and
trying the latest BOS 2.2 alpha (the windoze version), I thought I
should drop you a note and give some feedback.

First of all: When is an RTS complete?
Some time ago tried a 1.0 release of BOS, played one game against the
AI (and was rushed to death :P), played one game against/with a friend
in LAN and then I didn't play anymore and eventually uninstalled it. It
felt so unfinished.

One reason was, that the graphics weren't too appealing. The other was,
that there didn't seem to be a tutorial or a small campaign. The latter
was the reason I didn't even try to get to know the game better.

My point is: IMHO an RTS is complete when it has a tutorial and at
least one complete campaign and when multiplayer matches (if offered)
can be won using more than one strategy. Everything else (i.e.
different factions, imersive storyline, cutscenes, orchestral music,
fancy graphics that took two months to render on a high-end machine)
are nothing but a bonus. A _very_nice_ bonus, alright. ;)

Now, I'm very happy with the latest release. The graphics look much
better and even though the tutorial doesn't work as expected (yet) and
the first campaign mission crashes on me after 3 minutes (that's ok for
an alpha - still need to find out WHY that happens, though) it's great
to see that project evolve and mature. I think esp. the *nix world is
in dire need for a nice, free, multiplayer RTS game.

So basically I just wanted to give you a thumbs up and tell you
something like "Keep going. Yo!". *thumbs up*

I may give map-making (and scripting) a try, although I don't want to
give promises I can't keep. If anything, you've just gained a stalker
and player who will occasionally put in some bug reports and point at
some smaller issues that would need some fixing.

Have a nice day,
-ServalKatze

(This message has been written some days ago - by the time it was
finished the phone-line went dead, so I have to send it later. I've
already figured out how to make campaign briefings and how to ban
specific units and buildings for a mission. I guess I should try to
create a map with image based terrains on my own or figure out how to
change the tutorial map for basic scripting (enemy patrols, timed
attacks or whatever).. I'm just playing around but I'll try to get as
far as I can. ^^)
Hi ServalKatze,

The first version of BOS was not so fun to play, hence the wiki page. We worked hard to add depth to the game and enhance the feel. It's a pleasure to see that people like it.

You played with the alpha which lacked features and had some bugs. If possible, you should use the development version from subversion. Please tell us the bugs you find so that they can be fixed before the release.

Almost all activity happens on irc (#bos on freenode.net). You can join us there and hack on the game with us.

We hope to finish the release (at least the beta) this weekend.

Bye,
Feb.