RE: [Computerbank] Recipients vs Service Users

Kylie,
	 yours is a noble objective with a sensitivity that we could do well to emulate.
That being said, is the implication you're trying to avoid not true?

There is another element to the whole language paradigm involved here, i'll try
not to get too bogged down:

I feel confident claiming on behalf of those of us who have and will have
received computers from ComputerBank that we have found our lives usefully
transformed because of this service.  (Please feel free to disabuse me of this
notion, any who feel otherwise).  The act of receipt is one for which we tend
to feel greatfull.

To deny our passive roles in the process (admittedly, as
opposed to others) is to deny one of the axioms upon which the whole
undertaking pins, that of what a wonderfull world it would be if we all helped
each other out.  There is a certain reciprocal relationship here that is often
forgotten here.  Apart from being wonderfull to help out, it is also pretty good
to receive help occasionally.  I suspect it would be all too easy for recognition
of this, and hence a fidelity of thought and feeling to reality, to be swept under the
carpet for fear of a word's perceived value/s.  It also happens to illustrate one of
the less fortunate aspects of the evolution of our language which can shape the
thoughts of so many.

Pretty well pure theory thus far, now's the time to
stick my neck out:  I feel the proposal to be a retreat  with little strategic
advantage and outcomes that make me feel uncomfortable.  This is not beat-up
logical positivism, but rather comes to the heart of some of the worst that is
conducted in the name of political correctness today, aspects of which are crippling
our ability to relate to each other in meaningfull ways.

I put it to you in strong terms of reccomendation that we recognise the value
of of our goals and achievements rather than hide them behind a "passive voice"
of thoughts and deeds.

Faithfully and respectfully,

cromwell
(no fixed notion)

Hi all,

Why not throw in a curly unrelated question on this list - maybe it is
going to come up at the national conference as a policy anyhow, thought
I'd get it in early.

I've alwasy hated the term recipients, it has negative implications - ie
that you are the receiver of something that someone decides to give you.

With this in mind I want to use something a little less loaded to
describe our clients (and that's not the word I'm looking for), the one
I propose is SERVICE USERS.

What does everyone else think about that?

Cheers,

Kylie