Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-sa] Teen Challenge -Network

and everyone knows emacs is better than vi.

in other words, we can all do the holy wars. personally, the day i find the perfect system is the day i die - ie there aint no such beasty. a bledning of the best features of gnome and kde - well, now....:)

both have advantages and disadvantages.as dsl so (ohmigoddess peacefully) said, its about whats best for cai. actuually, whats best for recips, imho:)

and as for pete (one of the sweetest guys i'll ever know) being as grumpy as dsl, hell, all of us can outgrump peter, its too easy:)

r:)

David Lloyd wrote:
Daniel et al,

Because it [Gnome] [is]  not easy to use; I, as someone who's been
using computers for 9 years, and worked on a desktop environment,
struggled to configure GNOME to do what I want.

KDE and Gnome have two different philosophies. Both of these
philosophies have their own place. We are talking about ComputerBank at
the moment and the questions include:

 * Which desktop environment does ComputerBank (in South Australia) wish
 to choose?

 * Are they mutually exclusive?

 * Do we give recipients choice?

..and others.

If you would care to back your assertions up, then maybe I might
bother continuing this debate further, but at this childish,
ad-hominem-like rate, it's not.

KDE and Gnome discussions can become religious wars. I'm not sure either
of your responses (both Peter's nor yours) was the most well designed to
stop such from occuring.

*educating* them with desktops, is a good thing. My current setup
looks and feels *nothing* like Windows, especially with I play with
slicKer. If you'd spent more than 30 seconds in the KDE Control
Centre, you'd realise that it's actually *far* more customisable than
GNOME

They're different beasts with different philosophies. The Gnome Project
currently has reduced a host of what the Gnome Project considered to be
over-the-top configurations; in addition they've hidden some settings in
user profiles or other places. I seem to recall you managed to find some
terminal configuration settings in Terminal->Edit->Profiles or some such
thing.

I could discuss the benefits of this or not. But the real question, at
least for ComputerBank, is which one is appropriate and are they
mutually exclusive?

Gee one day with DSL and I get all grumpy :)
It's showing.

Our reputation has already preceded us...

DSL

--
Romana Challans

State Coordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated - Sa Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/