Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-sa] Teen Challenge -Network

If you want to switch back to gnome 1.2 (1.4 was really slow, but I am aware that
1.2 was fast), go right ahead - I don't actully care, because the complaints I'd
have to listen to about obselete applications that don't work with current
documents, and the complete lack of a modern web browser, would be no worse
the accusations that fly in my direction now.

Do not accuse me of making an arbitary decision without consulting anyone,
because I did not do that,  and I really don't like having those accusations
thrown around.  KDE2 was discussed for 6 months before it happened.

KDE3 was discussed for a similar period of time, however I was rushed into
the actual implentation by people because of kword issues, and so it didn't
get the testing that it needed.  That's my fault, but you knw what, I don't
like it, but franky, not one other person contributed to that migration at
the time, despite my pleas, and everyone wanted me to do the job, so I did
what I was told.

What's more, I've been activly sociting discussion on what to do about it,
including but not limited to discussion about alternatives to the kde
desktop stuff. The statement that I'm just dictating is completly inaccurate.

It's really easy to pontificate your particular view.  Being in the position of
having to resove out *everyone's* view points is a lot harder than sitting
in the in the audience heckling.

	- jj

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 06:18:34PM +1000, Kylie Davies wrote:
> HI all,
>
> And now I join in....
>
> Peter Gossner wrote:
>
> > Now as we give poor unsuspecting recipients comparatively low end boxes
> > I believe we should be installing software that makes their experience
> > pleasant / easy.  That means it should be responsive.
>
> Totally agree here, hence why I am tearing my hair out over the system we are
> currently distributing in Victoria...this is why I am asking for more memory
> in the systems - because - unless we ship a P2 class system - the computer is
> way slow, not that useable (lots of waiting time / hdd cranking) and it
> doesnt do anything to promote free software as an alternative.
>
> I, as a trainer and a linux user (only since 96) - I am totally embarrassed
> when recips say is it really this slow or when KWORD takes up to 4 mins to
> open a KWORD document. (P133, 32RAM) We recently had one who decided that
> they didnt want this computer after all - it was much too slow.
>
> In Vic - admittedly there has been a lot of great development by Jaymz,
> Daniel and others...to enable KDE  to run faster on low end systems...but
> with KDE3 -*I* think we have gone OTT. It really needs 64RAM at the
> minimum...it runs dog slow on P133 (so much so that we are not shipping
> these).
>
> Before the KDE development - we also had some development involving GNOME -
> by Frank C..this changed at some point...with NO real discussion...but we
> were promised that things would be faster. (Incidentally one of our recips
> came in the other day with this GNOME install - and their system flew - in
> comparison to the ones we now ship on the same spec box.)
>
> We were also told that things would be better under KDE3 (from KDE2) but this
> has been proven wrong. We are told that KDE3.1 will be much better...but
> those who have had a go on the development box (a P166 with 32RAM) - have
> given up with it - because it is slowwwwwww and all you mainly do - is wait.
> Maybe we could get rid of some of the KDE eye candy and the system may become
> somewhat faster...do computer users really need a shadow backdrop under their
> mouse cursor??? ;)
>
> Anyway - that's my 2 cents for now... I'll just sit back and wait for the
> flames to burn me. :)
>
> Oh - and dare i say it - the knoppix german hdd installer - is too
> easy...even in German.... not many questions to answer...really a walk in the
> park cf other linux installs I have done. And the end result was
> perfecto...everything worked including sound! :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kylie
>
> ---
> Kylie Davies
> Victorian Branch Coordinator
> Computerbank Australia Inc

Jaymz Julian aka A Life in Hell / Warriors of the Wasteland / Unreal
Coder, Visionary, Fat Ass.
Thorn: knowing you
Thorn: you'd create one of the most powerful trackers ever
Thorn: then write chiptunes/SID tunes on it. =)