Re: [Computerbank] recent emails

Hi all,

--- Don Cameron <donc@mudgeeab.com.au> makes an excellent case:
> Hi all,
>
> The CB web invites public visitation to this list as follows:
>
> "We now have a general co-ordination mailing list courtesy of Linux
> Australia. This list is for the discussion and development of the various
> Computerbank projects that have started up. Its a fairly low volume mailing
> list that includes general news items, announcements about various branch
> meetings and activities".
>
> As a grateful recipient of a CB NSW donation I stay on the list to keep in
> touch with CB happenings and to (hopefully and wherever I can) offer
> something back to the organisation who's expertise and altruistic desire to
> help the needy proved a windfall for our local community... however it's
> increasingly apparent this is not the place for 'news' or 'announcements' of
> CB happenings; seemingly more designed as a forum for individuals to vent
> internal squabbles.

Squabbles and politics are an inevitable part of most
organisations.  Not necessarily a bad thing, if disagreement
can be tolerated.  This list has evolved into a general
Computerbank discussion forum because there's no other
such forum.

> Is there some other list for people interested in CB to join and receive
> information on CB innitiatives? (hopefully one a little less
> confrontational). Like a lot of list members (I suspect) I was somewhat
> confused by the posts under this thread until I cleaned-out my
> spam/pornography/profanity trap and found posts that started the thread)...
> I frequently recommend the CB web as well as this list to overseas NPO
> representatives to check-out the great work you are all doing...
> unfortunately recent posts make any further recommendations somewhat
> dificult.
>
> Rgds, Don

Strongly agreed.
I propose that this list be moderated, and content be restricted
as per Don's opening paragraph above.  Further, a new list be created
to take on the role this one currently serves.  Maybe cai-discussion,
or similar.

And on the subject of public image, I recently received the
following email from an acquaintance:

> How's Computerbank going?  I've heard from two people that there's
> a lot of intolerance for users who don't know what to do, or make
> mistakes, or ask silly questions.  Is this true?

Not good. :(

Steve.
Secretary, CBV.

=====
Steve Paynter
sbpaynter@yahoo.com.au; mobile 0403-922-246

"We have been told that 'being digital' is a virtue.  But it isn't.  People are
analog, not digital; biological, not mechanical."  -- Donald A. Norman.

http://search.yahoo.com