Army to have power to shoot civilians

Hi all,

Sorry that this is way off topic, but I saw this on the ABC News website:

"Students are calling on the Labor Party to reject a bill giving the Army
the power to shoot citizens during times of civil unrest.  The
Government wants the bill enacted in time for two big events next month: the
Sydney	Olympics and the World Economic Forum in Melbourne."

See --> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2000/08/item20000817105443_1.htm

Subsequently,  I rang the office of Senator Ellison on  have sent an email
to Senator Chris Ellison (Senator for WA), demanding that this bill be
totally rejected and am intending to follow it up with a letter.

For those of you in WA, here is senator Ellison's contact details:

Senator Chris Ellison
PO Box 143
NORTHBRIDGE WA 6865

Telephone number: 9328-3688
Email : senator.ellison@aph.gov.au

You all may wish to contact your local senator (and MP) to let them know
what your feelings are about this.

thanks

David  Buddrige

-