[Computerbank] I have a problem

Hi there..maybe you might help me..I just bought a PCMCIA 10/100 network card for my laptop (Compaq Presario 1400). It recognized the card ,just when I try to connect it to my brother computer it gives us probelms.My laptop doesn't even recognize it's own computer  in his own network...and when we send a ping..it doesn't recognize..do you have any idea what the problem could be..if you have an idea I'll be happy to hear..if you have some info sites about it which can help me...I'll be gratfull.. thanx a lot Eli.