Re: [Computerbank] Australian Federal Government departmentsadopting linux :)

Hi Kylie,

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 05:39, Kylie Davies wrote:
> This looks interesting...
>
> http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4931670%255E15306,00.html
>
> snip
> .. Back in Australia, the Federal Government is getting in on the act, with
> Centrelink and the Department of Veteran Affairs signing deals for new Linux
> systems. ...
> end snip

I know that CentreLink has been using MySQL already for quite a while.
Not sure what platform though, but at least it's OpenSource tools.
Similar story for various other federal and state govt.departments.

The problem from the OpenSource perspective is that it's not really part
of policy, and any public statements are still mostly dismissive of
OpenSource even if the dept of the minister in question actually does
use OpenSource tools. Most likely, the minister won't know about it ;-)

It's really about time they come out of this "denial phase". Looking
around the world, Australian policy on OpenSource is way behind. The
European Union already has various directives on it, the upcoming German
federal elections will be run on Linux/Java/MySQL, etc.

Regards,
Arjen.

--
MySQL Training in Sydney: 9-13 Sep 2002, https://order.mysql.com/?marl