Re: [Computerbank] Linux distribution standardisation

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Julien Goodwin wrote:
> > Of the replies I did receive one person suggested that each branch should
> choose its own distribution based on the skills/experience available in the
> volunteers - is this a satisfactory approach?
> -- To a point, really the choice should be between RedHat & Debian, almost
> all other distros (except slackware) are based off them, and the other major
> distros (Mandrake, Suse, Caldera) are mostly just enhacements making linux
> 'prettier' and 'easier to install' both of which arn't a concern.

Re: Mandrake. I would disagree that it is just 'prettier'. A lot of effort
has gone in to other components and subsystems, with good improvements
over all. So you can use it like a Red Hat system and take advantage of
the extras. This includes package management.

Dale.