Re: [Computerbank] suggestion to ponder?

Hello

I assist various non-profit groups as a volunteer and a couple of things
come to mind that may assist or hinder THE idea. Note: I'm not sure whether
my experience is similar, but I agree to help out with one thing, and end
up helping out with another :)

Many of these groups have a single computer connected to the Internet. If
they have been going long enough they may be in the running for obtaining
another computer. They usually run MS Windows. I have often thought, that
instead of the old computer being parked in a corner, that somebody who is
skilled at setting up old Windoze boxes as Linux firewall/servers could
turn this old computer into a powerful resource and boot-strap them into a
networked and more productive office (multiuser). Other Linux computers
could be obtained to go on the network. In addition, I thought that the
people that are clients of these groups, could then have Internet access
when they visit for counselling or gathering information.

The hurdle is often training. But what is interesting there, is many do not
have enough knowledge to use their existing computer effectively and
productively. If they only realised that the difficulties that they are
experiencing using windows, at worst would be similar to that of using
Linux. For example, saving and finding their documents again, recognising
different file formats, managing email etc. What they find scary, is their
peers saying that they will not be able to read each other's documents.
They also do not recognise that there are better tools, e.g. graphics
software instead of using MS Word drawing tools for creating logos.

Also, because the groups are pushed for resources themselves, such as
people time and money, they just want to get the job done. They are not
bothered whether it is Linux/Unix/MS Windows etc. unless they have already
been brainwashed into noddy's computing thinking, i.e. choose Save from the
File menu, instead of, to save my file in x directory ... Most of the
issues are wrt un-doing the desktop metaphor, and showing them what it is
they are actually doing.

The business model of maintenance contracts I think would be very new to
these groups. They are used to the idea of saving up or obtaining funding
for the computer, and that's it until they need or want another one.
Although, demonstrating that if they were to break the upgrade cycle, they
could afford more computer power, training and assistance may be a way to
tackle this.

Overall, I think awareness, advocacy, and action by LUGs, Computerbank,
Computer Angels and groups that have success stories will garner well for
Linux consultancy businesses. Perhaps Linux consultancy businesses could
sponsor or donate their expertise to a particular non-profit group, and
then they could both share the success of reciprocal public relations and
knowledge.

Hope this helps
Jacqueline
Perth, Western Australia