Re: [Computerbank] ................ Sydney ALIVE!

Hello Bruce,

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Bruce McCubbery wrote:

> At 19:51 23/12/01 +1100, Craige McWhirter wrote:

>> Anyone can join our list. It's public and the archives are
>> public. The list is for the day-to-day functioning of CBNSW, so if
>> that's of interest, join away :)

It might pay to remind the rest of us how to do so, but not too
frequently, like monthly, or quarterly. It might be better as a message
out of Vic, with the info for all the state lists. Just make sure that
email only access is adequate... No signing up via a web page without an
email option, please.

> Hi Craige,

> Please pass on my best wishes to all the Sydney crew at this
> wonderful time for you all.

I hope that all proves okay with the current bushfire season.

> For me it's great fun watching what you are up to. I'm just wanting
> to know more about your premises as I think a few others not there
> would, too. Please give us a burst after your Techie Weekend.

> On the matter of being somewhat far from your home, you might be
> advised to conduct a local drive for Computerbank simpaticos as well
> as techos? People to do everything else that's needed, I know VIC
> needs more of them, too.

All cities sprawl too much. Rent should be cheaper away from the CBD,
and it may be sensible to have more than one premises. From my
experience of Melbourne, either getting into the city, or crossing it,
is a bother, and the better routes around are further out and take
longer.

> Coming from being majorly techo it's somewhat natural Computerbank
> honchos don't see that so many who couldn't even take the cover off
> a box are dead keen on the idea and want to help some way. When
> thinking of recruits, broaden your focus way out, ask for anyone who
> wants to help by doing whatever they can.

PC's are still at a stage where some technical interest and knowledge
are _necessary_. Those who are not technically inclined can help with a
multitude of support effort, bookkeeping, writing letters, recording
recipients and details etc, and then be gently hauled into the technical
stuff. With a suitable gentle encouragement, some will become competent,
and gain confidence.

>   :-)
>
> That said: Melbourne techies, tune in on the cb-nsw list, there's
> more technical discussion than anything -- and I'm (just slightly)
> concerned they might be reinventing some of what Melb has done. On
> the other hand, they clearly know a lot and might have answers Melb
> doesn't need to search for anymore.

We all need to network. Face to face has advantages, where possible. For
longer range interaction where the drive would take too many hours, this
list is an excellent alternative.

> (( spoken like a truly technically challenged person ))

Just start with the fundamentals, Whitworth and screw threads, NPN and
PNP silicon transistors. A little basic understanding then builds, with
some commonsense and logic. You do not need to be able to do every step
yourself to be able to use the final result, but a little knowledge and
understanding goes a very long way.

> Regards to all, Bruce (Ascot Vale ... a bit like Penrith but not so
> far out)

From what I hear, another part of the clearfelled woods entirely.

> PS. Any LUNSW members out Penrith way?

They are the "SLUG", Sydney Linux Users Group.

Regards,	Mark Trickett