Re: [Computerbank] Debian PGI Installer

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:08:51PM +1030, David Lloyd scrawled:
> > Meaning that it probably doesn't get back to Jaymz, the upstream
> > developer. Stuff doesn't get fixed if you don't report it.
>
> Are you telling me that talking to the local, state convenor who happens
> to also be on the national committee doesn't get back to ComputerBank?

I don't see why it should be Romana's job to be forwarding your bug
reports to Jaymz.

> > Computerbank has documented procedures for Desktop Penguin, and
> > *everyone* who does installs is used to DP, because that's what they
> > do for a lot of their time. Converting to PGI would mean time expended
> > getting used to the new system.
>
> It all depends really; there's no particular reason why my setting up of
> PGI for ComputerBank needs to be adopted for ComputerBank but there are
> steps that would be useful regardless of PGI.
>
> (eg, how to setup debian mirrors painlessly and so forth)

Regardless of what would be useful, it's still a lot of work for people
to adapt. Computerbank also has one Debian package monkey who has
maintained Apache and virtually the entirety of KDE in Debian, so it's
quite easy for things to get done[1].

> > And you're not helping your case by explaining.
>
> Someone along the line seems to have misunderstood me when I basically
> said I would like to write PGI installer against a current ComputerBank
> distribution. I distinctly remember saying that I really don't
> particularly mind if it's used or if it's not used.

Yes, but I'm just saying that if you want to push it, then you're
probably not helping much ...

> I have my own opinions about many things and I make my voice heard but
> generally in person. Mailing lists seem to invite antagonism and
> misunderstanding and IRC can be the same way as well.
>
> Hence why I prefer to deal with real people in real life.

If you email jaymz@artificial-stupidity.net and say, "Hi, when you do
this, select that and hit OK, the installer goes 'boom'." That's pretty
unequivocal, and there's no real room for antagonism. If bug reports
never get forwarded upstream, they can never be fixed, it's as simple as
that.

:) d

[1]: Tomorrow.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne

PGP signature