[Computerbank] Restructuring of the mailing lists - thoughts please

Hey there all,

I am aiming to create a little short term traffic - in order to generate your
thoughts on how the mailing lists should be structured. Recent events have
seen some people asking if the Computerbank list was an appropriate forum
(imho it was - as there is no other forum for this atm)?

Those with this view believe that the Computerbank list should exist for
general news and announcements for Computerbanks, Computer Angels and
the OSS community.

Before answering this question, a bit of history shall be revealed. :)

The Computerbank list was initially created as a way to share and disseminate
information to synthesize the development of the Computerbank project. In
this way many groups have formed, all with a common underlying belief and
committment to bridging digital divide by recycling computers while using GPL
software.

When groups formed, Computer Angels, Computerbank Victoria, Computerbank SA,
Computerbank NSW - separate mailing lists formed and ideas development for
each branch moved somewhat. Over time as development became more focussed
within independent groups and the Computerbank list became a general
announcements forum with some discussion still continuing. (Like the AGM
discussion and many others).

Not all branches use the list to announce events and general "feel good"
news. CAI-VIC and CAI-SA use the list frequently while CBNSW and CAngels use
it less frequently and CBQ don't seem to use it much at all.

I cant speak for other branches and groups, but we in Victoria subscribe all
volunteers to the Computerbank list (if ticked on the volunteer registration
form). People can also subscribe themselves to the list (via news on the web
page) and many people do so. What do other groups do with respect to this?

With that in mind - I'd like to see the Computerbank list continue to be a
source of general news and announcements...with perhaps some kind of "what's
been happening at x branch post" on a regular basis. I think the list should
be used to announce CAI-National Meetings and others meetings held by IRC
(issue based meetings / irc workshops*) as this would ensure wider
participation for the "Computerbank Community."

What do others think? Are there other suggestions?

Within doing this -we might formalise on a set of guidelines re posting to
this list? Would anyone want to volunteer to draft something from the
discussion that results on this topic? Would this be useful?

If we did do this - where would the discussion and the sharing of information
and experiences go? Another list? How do members of CAI (National - all
members) collectively access the National Committee to openly discuss
Computerbank issues?

I am aware that we are about to relocate the lists any way so we can
implement the new look (if there is one) mailing list structure when this
happens.

Obviously with the holiday season at full swing - I'm not expecting to have a
flood of responses to this post so I will let this "hang out there" to
collect thoughts until next year....

Happy thinking...Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Kylie

---
Kylie Davies