Basic requirements for server

It's 01 Feb 99  17:32:11,
We'll return to pde@vmore.org.au and All's
discussion of Basic requirements for server

 pd> If the server is a pentium with enough RAM on it, you ought to be able
 pd> to run netscape and/or gui-based mail clients like xfmail very nicely
 pd> for all the clients.  Reliability could be a bit of an issue with
 pd> servers using second hand hard disks, though.

Shouldn't be too big a problem, going by the old disks we have clunking
away in the office. :-)  Besides, with regular backups (get a matched
pair and the dd command is useful :) ), things should run fine. :)

 > Hmm, we may need an admin team, armed with ssh clients. :-)

 pd> Agreed.  I believe we now have somebody (Craig from vicnet, I forget
 pd> the surname) who is working on setting up some standards for the
 pd> machines we install, that will cover things like remote
 pd> maintainability.

Good idea.

 pd> Interestingly enough, I think I've seen a system that has managed to
 pd> encrypt a login using an ordinary telnet client.  I'm just chasing
 pd> that up though....

Interesting...

 > That's a good question.  Dot matrix would be easy to obtain, but laser
 > and inkjet might be a problem.

 pd> There are a reasonable number of old laser printers being thrown out
 pd> these days.  Not enough for every student we help out to get one, but
 pd> certainly enough for community groups with servers and LANs.

Depending on the age, drivers may be an issue (btw, got an old clunker
in the office to give away).

.. Did the devil really create the world when God wasn't looking?