RE: Draft Consitution

Unsure what you guys in melbourne are doing, however in Perth we decided to
keep any reference as to _how_ we acheive the goals of computerbank fairly
much out of the constitution, and kept this sort of thing to the discretion
of the implementors.  Our reasoning for doing it this way, is to maximise
the flexibility we have in acheiving our aims.  I would _not_ want to put a
statement saying "thou shalt use OSS" for the following reasons:

1. The constitution is a legally binding document.  It is perfectly possible
to sue someone for a breach of the constitution within computerbank.  What
if you want to put StarOffice on your systems? requiring OSS requires you to
forget about ever using StarOffice, Applixware or any other such product
during the course acheiving the aims of Computerbank. There may be a host of
circumstances where you wish to use proprietary software (I know, it's
politically bad stuff but eralistically, you don't want to forbit yourself
from using it) What if you want to put some shareware program (later on down
the road) onto the systems? etc....

2. If you _really_ want it mentioned, put it in the bylaws where you can
remove it with a low-amount-of-fuss if it becomes an issue. (If you want to
change the constitution, you'll have to reapply to the government, re-pay
the fees, etc, etc... it's a real pain.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what was being proposed... I think it's  areally
bad Idea to put a statement about _how_ we acheive our aims in the
constitution - it's far too inflexible a doco to cater for that well....

cheers

David Buddrige... 8-)