Re: [lias] Age IT Software News: Schools open for business

First up, a correction to me last message, the M$ software bundle
includes Win NT 4 not Win 2000, much to my releif, along with a great
wad
of other goodies including Win 95 and 98, Office 2k and a wad of other
goodies...

Roger Buck wrote:

[snip]

> Even if OASIS did run better under *n*x, it probably wouldn't be worth
> doing anyhow - IMO it would be better to have a complete replacement for
> OASIS rather than trying to pump new life into something that should
> have been buried long ago anyhow. A perfect candidate for MySQL and PHP
> perhaps?
>
> R.
> -
> ComputerBank Australia -- http://www.computerbank.org.au/

	Yes!! A faint spark of hope! It is a great relief to hear that the
N.S.W dept of ed. is thinking about re-implementing OASIS. Using OASIS
from
shared directory by way of a Windows binary is a kludge. At least with a
web
based solution, you are buying full cross platform compatibility ( even
with
PDA's etc ), with a server deployment that isn't OS specific. So in the
end
*hopefully* schools can re-unify their networks.

	However, isn't there an existing web interface for OASIS?? There
was a contractor wandering around this area cleaning up library
databases
and cataloguing books. One item that he required was web access to a
central
OASIS site. It wouldn't be a hard issue to modify distribute this site
as a
package, list the dependencies and write a few deployment instructions.
Most
site admins with two clues to rub together could deploy a web based site
in a
reasonable manner...

	So are you guys at the dept of ed thinking about this or what??? It
would be an immense help for all of us at the coal face....

Cheers Mik.
-
ComputerBank Australia -- http://www.computerbank.org.au/