[Computerbank] [Fwd: [cai-vic] Finally ... the ... 2004 Computerbank Victoria Inc Annual Report!]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Kylie Davies <mailkylie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: cai-vic <cai-vic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [cai-vic] Finally ... the ... 2004 Computerbank Victoria Inc
Annual Report!
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:04:48 +1100
Hi all,

Finally I furnish you with the Computerbank Victoria Inc annual report
for 2004. This report provides a basic summary of the years events.

A PDF copy of this report will be available on our website soon.

Enjoy!,

Kylie

Computerbank Victoria Inc Annual Report for 2004

8th February 2005, by Kylie Davies

Finally, I give you the long awaited, and overdue Computerbank Victoria
Report for 2004, read, you should see my TO DO list!

And what a busy year it has been!!! So busy we missed our 5th
(official)/6th (informal) birthday!

More than 2000 computers on the hardware board! 392 computers
distributed!

In addition to supplying individuals and community groups within
Australia, we shipped computers and networks to places like Bangladesh
(Bikash Womens Centre), Fiji (Methodist Ladies College), Solomon Islands
(PFNet), Papua New Guinea (AMURT PNG), and Burma (Indymedia).

With much kudos to Ed, we implemented a very successful Linux thin
client trial at the Footscray Library. This project involved developing
a low cost network model that was simple and easy to maintain, and one
that allowed user access to the client floppy. The thin clients are
still running at the Library, just the other night, I witnessed a queue
of people wanting to use them.

We rolled out a new Knoppix based distribution, and with thanks to Ed,
hard drive cloning techniques were introduced. We have focused on QA,
and usability, this has resulted in a general decrease in user support
issues.

Due to the wonderful efforts of Jan and the use of Zope (silva/plone),
this year saw the official unveiling of the documentation site and the
long awaited arrival of a fabulous home page. Big thanks to our current
hosters, Obsidian.

Our Work For the Dole program continued, this year we ran three
projects . The Work for the Dole program provides us with guaranteed
computer delivery outcomes, donation processing capability re testing,
documentation, user support, quality assurance, warehousing and e-waste
recycling assistance, some paperwork/administration needs.

We developed better e-waste recycling practises, and this has
contributed to the increase in our ability to generate (non grant funds)
our own income. The introduction of fee paying training and other
workshops has also contributed to a general rise in income, while the
garage sale we held in December contributed over $1400.

We received lots of donations this year, including many second time
donors (too many to list in this report, please see our website for
supporter information). This year saw the start of mass Pentium III
donations, which have enabled us to distribute more thin client
networks. A general increase in the overall specification of computers
being donated has allowed us to raise our minimum individual PC
specification to a PII 350MHz, 128MB RAM, and a 5-6GB hard drive.

Biggest thanks to Rob for his amazing efforts in the area of donation
logistics.

A new training manual “The Compact Guide to the Modern Linux Desktop”
was developed to replace older training material, it has since been
re-worked into a shorter guide “The Compact Guide to the KDE Desktop.”

This year saw the welcome arrival of two new lead trainers, Adam and
Barry, while Tony and Con showed continued commitment to the area of
training and client relations.

The arrival of a new administration type volunteer, has helped ease the
communications mayhem we experience on Thursdays and Fridays, while the
addition of extra user support volunteers, has seen this area become
more efficient. All of our new volunteers, who are still volunteers,
Rock!

Community groups to benefit from our work included the Langwarrin
Basketball Club, Linux Users of Victoria, Goongerah Environment Centre,
Footscray Library, Marist Transistional School, Victorian Rainforest
Network, Indymedia, Computers for Aged and Disabled Seniors (CADS),
Central Hume Support Services in Wodonga (easier to get computers from
Victoria), Westgate Community Initiatives Group (WCIG), and Darebin Aged
Housing Services.

We attended the Monash University Sustainable Living Festival, and gave
a presentation for APICUG. Computerbank New South Wales, Dan Treacy, and
Geoff Tregenza from Computerbank Hunter, popped down for the
Computerbank Australia Inc AGM. Shortly after the AGM, Computerbank
Australia became Computerbank Victoria Inc again.

We saw the Cairo Database, developed by Owen, go live for the purpose of
accessing information about computers that have been shipped to
individual clients.

We finally gave our internal systems and servers a serious upgrade, big
thanks to Julien and Con for their tireless efforts in this area.

The dedication and commitment of all who have contributed by
volunteering to help during 2004 has been outstanding. This has allowed
us to increase the level of assistance we provide to the community, and
I wish to extend thanks to everyone who has helped. Thanks!

Way to Go!

Monthly Summaries

Jan = 9
Feb = 12
Mar = 35
Apr = 11
May = 16
Jun = 5
Jul = 37
Aug = 16
Sep = 22
Oct = 53
Nov = 31
Dec = 120

In addition to this we replaced 12 internal systems, distributed around
8 firewalls and 5 low end computers.

Figures for December are high due to new relationships being formed with
groups (WCIG, CADS). We have been giving computers directly to these
groups for redistribution to disadvantaged communities in the Western
region of Melbourne.

--
Kylie Davies
President/ Coordinator