Re: [plug] Re: Computer Bank - please dont give them away.

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:15:44 +0800, David Buddrige
<dbuddrige@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>2. My thinking (briefly) to do the training is as follows:
>    a. Develop course material along the lines of LDP howto's - but
>structured such that they are broken into 1 hour chunks that a reasonably
>competent linux nut could basically follow through, and explain / answer
>questions.  The documents can then be submitted to LDP (i expect they'd be
>extrememly useful for anyone keen on getting people off windoze and into
>linux).

The LDP howto's seem to be aimed at people who already have a fair idea of
what they are doing.  Ken posted a good article on this sort of thing the
other day.  Rather than "Using Pine" for example, you want to give someone
a good understanding of what email is and what you do with it rather than
just teaching the software.

>    c. In terms of _who_ does the training... ok, training is still a skill
>that not everyone has - but I've done it for a living before, and would be
>willing to offer up an hour or 2 on a saturday morning  8-)  I'm sure that we
>could find other's willing to offer their time (and others willing to donate
>their loungrroom for a few hours to run a small class????

I think it would be a better idea to make some sort of arrangement with
some community group to put a computer lab together.  I think initially it
would be better to use the computers for things like that rather than
giving them to individuals.  That way as many people as possible can get
use out of them.

I've done training for a living, and I work nights, so I can probably put
in some weekday mornings.

>In terms of developing the course material... I am thinking there is no
>reason why these can't be developed using a GNU methodology just like
>software - if some-one posts a to-do list and/or a table-of-contents, all
>that need happen is people fill in relevant sections and submit to person
>responsible - errors, ommissions, wording, etc, can be worked out as a group
>effort by anyone/everyone interested ... I am putting together some
>proposal/discussion starters at present that will flesh out what I am... will
>submit url soon (expect about a week to prepare)...

Like I mentioned the other day, we need to detirmine what apps we will be
using and what material is out there.  I'll probably sort something out
over the weekend.

Are we still using Pine or a we going to go for a free alternative (elm or
mutt perhaps)?

cya

--
Steven Blunt