(Fwd) Re: [plug] Update to training manual "Introduction to Co

Bounced off the PLUG mailing list, second attempt...
From:           	"David Campbell" <campbell@torque.net>
To:             	plug@linux.org.au
Date sent:      	Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:21:15 +0800
Subject:        	Re: [plug] Update to training manual "Introduction to Computers and Linux" as of  21/1/1999

Date sent:      	Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:32:37 +0800
From:           	David Buddrige <dbuddrige@ozemail.com.au>
To:             	plug@linux.org.au, computerbank@linux.org.au, pcb@greedo.nw.com.au
Subject:        	[plug] Update to training manual "Introduction to Computers and Linux" as of
	21/1/1999
Send reply to:  	plug@linux.org.au

> Hi all,
>
> Just a note to say that the manual that I am writing: "Introduction to
> Computers and Linux" has been updated as of 21 January, 1999.
>
> You can see the latest version (0.01)at
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dbuddrige/computerbank/doco/
>
> Comments/submissions/pointing out of spelling and technical errors and
> any other suggestions are welcome and encouraged. 8-)

I suggest a some toning down of the "anti-Microsoft" sentiments, preferably removing as
many direct references as possible. My first reading of this was some political radical
has written this... Please avoid the brain washing tatics, I have enough of this from
Microsoft.

Example:
"After a certain time, Microsoft refuses to support it's older products - insisting rather,
that users purchase the later version of their product."

I would like to remind you that the Linux comunity is very similar in the respect of
"why are you using Apache 1.01, go to xxx.yyy.net and download the latest version". The
only difference here is that the upgrades are free.

Perhaps you should examine the upgrade price of a MS package versus the new features
that you are going to use, in such light you might find that going from MS-Office 95 to
MS-Office 97 is not price competitive HOWEVER because other people have changed, you
are forced to change just so you can read their documents. From my experience there is
no parallel in the free software world.

David Campbell

campbell@torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)