[Computerbank] Re: [Computerbank][Australia-wide] Re: Linux

Hello everyone,

[posted to both the Australia-wide and Computerbank lists together]

Is that 2 or 3 now saying they're on Australia-wide and know Linux? Greg,
Jacqueline and ?? here on Australia-wide?

I think you're also on the Computerbank allover Oz list, Jaqueline? I hope
so and I hope you don't mind me reposting what you said before onto it.

I wanted to raise a couple of points of potential interest to both lists.

First, mostly for Australia-widers, there's a push to give everyone
everywhere access to learning Linux. Why? Well it's good. But also, people
anywhere in Oz can now set up a branch of Computerbank (well, in a month or
two) BUT the main stumbling block for many wanting to do this is to have
the local expertise in this thing called Linux.

People just hearing of it for the first time won't be interested in the
upcoming Linux national conference in Brisbane or even the 2003 one in
Perth but it does offer us a joint target: Perth in one year.

I don't know the focuses of such national Linux conferences but ... would
they be interested in a presentation about Computerbank and its need to get
branches established outside our metropolitan cities? Are most of them well
enough aware about http://www.computerbank.org.au/ Computerbank? Might they
Australia-wide's efforts, among other things, for equity of access to the
Internet and Web for every Australian?

It seems to me we have a joint purpose to consider the Linux movement
becoming familiar with and actively assisting the spread of the (still
evolving) Computerbank branch model.

Over to you guys..

Regards, Bruce (Ascot Vale, Melbourne)