[Computerbank] Re: [CAI-committee] Draft CAI Privacy Statement

Greetings all,
	there's probably a bit more that i should read about this to truly understand
all the underlying principles, threads, aggendas, etc, and for anybody who
can give me a tip or twain, it would be greatly appreciated.  I honestly
don't remember having to comply with some new changes to the Privacy Act 2000
and am unsure what the ramifications are and more to the point, who they
apply to, so thank you Kylie for raising this.

	I've read through the National Privacy Principles but their "mock-up copy of
the Privacy Ammendment (Private Sector) Act 2000" link was unsupported so i
could not read section 6 of this.  Most of it seemed to make sense, although
there may be a few stumbling blocks, especially where language issues exist.
For instance, i forsee difficulty in satisfying point 1.5 in the context of
point 1.3.c, i.e. ensuring that we have fullfilled our duty in conveying
through an intermediary the purposes for which we collect a recipient's
private information.  Also, to satisfy point 2.1.b, it may be a good idea to
include on our volunteer and member forms a question to the effect "Do you
give your consent to give your private details to other volunteers and/or
members?"  We might also need to include in our privacy "waiver" (probably
the wrong term and all due apologies to the legally ruffled :)  something to
cover us for 2.1.c, that is disclosing for any secondary purposes.  Has
anyone ever heard of point 8 (Anonymity) put to the test?  And point 10, do
we have a working definition of exactly what constitutes sensitive
information?

	"Reasonable steps" gets thown about a bit in the document and sounds a very
scary phrase indeed, like the sort of thing that gets defined by a judge
minutes before you get sued for every penny you possess.  Is there any scale
of "reasonable steps" for every occasion out there on a statute somewhere?

	I have been able to read neither the privacy_statement.html nor
privacy_policy.html documents, those links don't appear to be supported
either, the now.  Even if i had been able to, i've had no legal training
equal to this situation and i suspect that many of us would be incompetant to
judge what the relationship (in a legal sense) twixt these documents and the
ammended Privacy Act 2000 is.  Would it be worth bringing in someone more
legally qualified for comment?

	I've heard about the Brotherhood of St Laurence's ability to hold it's head
above water in the legal arena and while i don't actually know all the
ramifications, i am inclined to trust their ability to appropriately
interpret legislature.  Kylie seems to have done a good job picking up the
core items that apply to us.

	Regarding changes to the Privacy Statement, i commend to our consideration an
addition to the effect that as well as posting changes to the relevant
website, that we will also alert those that need to know that changes have
occurred, so they may appraise themselves of any new responsibilities in
timely fashion.

	Another possibility to consider is that the role of Privacy Officer have an
associated CAI officer who automatically assumes this position's duties in
the stead, for whatever reason, of the incumbent's incapacity and who should
be informed whenever (if ever) this occurs.

	Working in Victoria i heard discussion of requirements to destroy private
information when it was no longer appropriate to hold it.  Is anybody aware
of what, if any, requirements need be met in this regard?

	That was a long haul, sorry but i have no idea when it comes to legal
matters, per hap all this was unneccessary but better safe than sorry.

Best regards and faithfully yours,

cromwell
Cromwell Hooper
Volunteer and WFTD Co-ordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated, SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/
Vice President
Computerbank Australia Incorporated
http://www.computerbank.org.au/