[Computerbank] Re: [CAI-committee] Draft - Statement of Donation of Equipment

Greetings all;
	in a chat with a lad from the local (Mt Barker station, S.A.) constabulary
regarding receipt of second hand goods, i discovered a couple of issues that
may be worth addressing sooner than later.

	The Second Hand Dealers' Act and all it implies applies to bodies who receive
monies in exchange for second hand goods and / or services thereon.  He was
not presenting a legal opinion and suggested we scour through not only this
act but also investigate the various charitable and tax acts that may apply.
He strongly advised obtaining the counsel of those more legally competant.
He basically implied that if we charged nothing for our goods and services
then we're off the Second Hand Dealers' Act hook.

	Being that as it may, australian law requires any body suspecting receipt of
stolen goods to take reasonable steps of inquiery as to the nature of the
goods' origins and if unable to establish they are legally acceptable, to
report same to the authorities (which in case is as simple as calling a
police station).  The constable suggested we should report any such
suspicions as soon as possible.

	This implies the obligation to have contact details at hand to be able to
make such enquiries.  The constable i spoke to hazarded no opinion regarding
the privacy issues involved here.

	I sincerely hope any irritation this information represents is compensated by
comfortable and confident handling of such issues in the future.  Best
regards and faithfully yours,

cromwell
Cromwell Hooper
Volunteer and WFTD Co-ordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated, SA Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/
Vice President
Computerbank Australia Incorporated
http://www.computerbank.org.au/