Re: [Computerbank] Re: [cai-sa] GNU/FreeBSD progress

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:30:14PM +0930, Romana Challans wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:10 am, Dale Long wrote:
> > Maybe we can use this: :-)
> >
> > "The Debian GNU/FreeBSD port has recently made significant progress
> > using the GNU C library <http://www.gnu.org/software/glibc/> as a base
> > instead of FreeBSD's libc. The result has been a great improvement in
> > portability, which allowed a single developer to bootstrap Debian to the
> > point of having a working xfree86
> > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2003/debian-bsd-200306/msg00001.html>
> > package in matter of a few weeks. There's currently a base GNU/FreeBSD
> > tarball <http://people.debian.org/%7Ermh/gnu-freebsd/pub/> that can be
> > installed as a standalone system, an APT repository
> > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2003/debian-bsd-200306/msg00004.html>
> > and a temporary website <http://people.debian.org/%7Ermh/gnu-freebsd/>
> > summarizing the current status of the port."
> >
> > It should keep all of the people happy most of the time. :-)
> >
> > http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=968
>

> I dont know whether to rejoice or run screaming from frankenstein's
> monster!!!!!!
>
> looking forward to having a play at some point though.....in the fullness of
> time;)
>
> many thanks for that one dale, i had no idea such a *ummm* thing existed!

It's just the BSD kernel, with the standard GNU tools. It's not quite
ready for primetime yet (I'm still working with Robert to fix XFree86,
and it has a few interesting bugs), and probably won't be as well as
supported as Debian's GNU/Linux. I recommend just running with Linux, as
GNU/FreeBSD isn't quite yet ready for primetime, and there's no reason
to switch, really.

Also, Linux tends to have better support for new/esoteric hardware.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne