Re: Another ammendment - how to we make/change/delete bylaws?

Hi David

My problem stems from the possibility of many people joining Computerbank
because of interest in the project, the low cost of membership, and general
support from the industry/profession.

If you have a large membership you still have the hard core that are
interested enough to attend meetings and the huge group that don't.

Whatever, let's presume the percentage attending a meeting called for a
purpose was small and yet the subject matter was important and everyone has
been sent perhaps more than one communication about the matter.

Out of a membership of 800 - 50 turn up - still a good crowd (this happened
at the last credit union meeting to change the rules that I attended)

My point is that to force a percentage at all on a meeting is close to
impractical.

If you do force a percentage on attendance and the required percentage does
not turn up it is usual to adjourn the meeting to another date and then have
the motion debated by those that attend - which could be a lesser number
than attended the first meeting.

I believe it is sufficient to call the meeting for a purpose giving
sufficient notice and communication and then allowing those attending to
debate the matter and vote.

It would not be unreasonable to ask that 75% of those present were needed to
have a motion to change the rules carried. At the credit union meeting I
attended only 2 persons voted against the motion making it easy to calculate
more than 75%.

Best of luck    regards Bill