Re: re bobs comments

In <001301be6e8c$5ce8f3c0$87c917cb@grenache.mse.com.au>, on 15/Mar/99
   at 01:34 PM,(+1100 GMT)
"Nathan Dietsch" <ndietsch@mse.com.au> said:
> > _don't_ think that stolen property is going to be a big problem for .
> > However it needs to be thought about in advance so the issues can > be met
> > with reasoned responses :).

> Yes, it would look very professional if the police track us down and we
> can just pull up details as requested. I also think this data should not
> be given to police without a warrant.

I think requiring a warrant is pushing a bit far. Perhaps something like a
written request for the info that identifies the officer concerned and the
reason for requesting the info would be enough (as well as running it past
some authourised individuals inernaly)

> >> Should we be storing the serial number of all devices? Each >>device has
> >> serial number on it, even RAM chips, this can all be added.

> >Yes, as long as such can be managed without too much effort. ( >some older
> >RAM ie 30 pin may not be serial numbered though)

> OK but this would be a pain if an assembled computer is donated, it
> would require opening it up and taking out the parts if needed and
> recording all serial numbers.

Yes, but it may be the easiest way of assembling the sort of information
we need (IDs of ram chips etc). Case off  and cards /RAM out is not that
big a deal, a lot of stuff can be ID'd without having to unplug etc.

> >This next bit may go beyond the scope that you were envisaging for >the
> >database but I think it could be a usefull tool for the techs building
> > machines too :).

> > Are you thinking of allowing mass postings to the database via a  flat
> >text file format ( CSV or TSV etc) ? That way a large donation can be
> >broken down to component IDs and logged using paper or a spreadsheet (or
> > even an editor [dare I say VI ]:) and tossed to a front end to update
> > things without having to be net accessible and log each item one at > a
> > time.

> If it is in the correct format, this could be done quite easily. I have
> written perl scripts to do similar things before. But it would be best
> if you send this information to the admin (someone who actually has
> shell access) and we import it that way.

Yes, I was just trying to relieve some of the load off the admin by
presenting info in a manner that can be imported directly (after the t's
are crossed and i's dotted :)

> > Loging as much info about components as we can is going to be  very
> usefull
> > (at least initially) for further IDing of similar components particularly
> > where it comes to RAM where chip specs are difficult to find in > some
> > cases. ( ie a machine boots with 16Mb ram, I'd like to tear the >machine
> > down, slip out the RAM and note the chip info) We need to build expertise
> > in IDing wacky hardware as we're going to be dealing with some _real_
> >bueats :)

> OK this is where PostgreSQL and Object Orientation really shines. We
> could knock the Part Type on the head and define a Class called Part.
> From Part you could create HardDisk, RAM, Case, CPU, MotherBoard etc.
> ANd even further down if we needed to. This was my reason for choosing
> PostgreSQL, Relational Objects, a mix of two very useful strategies.

Ok, so for RAM could you do something like...
form factor (30 pin 72 pin sim sip dimm ...)
chip number (Panasonic MN41C1000ASJ-07 etc)
Number of chips ( 3 , 9, 12 etc)
Mb/unit (8, 16 etc)
Serial # (940510...)
unit ID ( part # or other id)
notes ( ? maybe...)

I know it looks a lot but I'm concerned we're going to have to be mixing
and matching RAM a lot and it would make life so much easier for those
building up the machines. ( places like
http://www.infinityelectronics.com/crossref.htm are going to have to
become second homes to some :)

> > I can see a requirement for NDAs for members with access to        >
> confidential
> > material.

> Yes that too. Another thing is requesting info from the admin. We need
> some way to be sure that the requests information are actually coming
> from trusted sources and not being spoofed. A PGP setup might be useful.

Yes, some sort of digital signature system would be nice. I was thinking
more along the lines of discussing CBs clients with non members (and even
with members). I would like to see some agreement along the lines of...
"_All_ information you have access to is confidential and may not be
passed on to a third party unless in the nature of business and then only
such information that is required to get the job done is to be given out.
"

--
/-- Bob Ogden  bob@contact.omen.com.au --------------/

Does your system break in 291 days?