Re: [Computerbank] Our service philosophy and linux

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Penni Diffey wrote:
> No really what I wanted to say was don't forget how can someone on a low
> income afford to buy licensed software. The dole is about 380 per fortnight
> and a sole parent with 2 children to support recives about 600 per fortnight.
>
> That's still less income than pfn than the cost of XP

There are more issues than the up front cost a stake. Think ".net",
"passport", "personal privacy", "media player 8 uploading your CD and DVD
preferences without your knowledge, consent or giving the option to opt
out if you choose to continue to use media player", "promoting
encypted hardware which will only load 'certified' os's", "etc..."...

Linux/xBSD give users a bigger choice and freedom in the long term.

Dale.