[Computerbank] Re: [cai-sa] A spin off

HUGE congrats!!!!!!!!! we should all be very proud of pete - this is a direct
result of all his incredibly hard work on east timor - hes been a credit to
caisa, his family, the town he was born in, and his cat.*

seriously pete - wow, congrats, amazing stuff dude:)

* i dont know if he has a cat actually.

r:)

On Sat, 10 May 2003 07:50 am, Peter Gossner shared:
> Application successfull :)
>
> On Thu, 8 May 2003 20:44:08 +0930  Peter Gossner <gossner@arcom.com.au>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> > Thought you may be interested in this :
> >

> > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
> > This mail was sent to gossner@arcom.com.au, savannah-hackers@gnu.org
> >

> > Peter Gossner <gossner@arcom.com.au> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
> > Other License:
> > Package: Tetum Translation Project
> > System name: tetum
> > Type: GNU

> > Gnome Translations for Tetum (The common language of Timor Leste (aka
> > East Timor))
> >
> > At the moment there is no source code.
> > I am requesting this space / hosting so that the project may be
> > ongoing and recruit input beyond the East Timor IT list.
> >
> > The locales required for the real people of East Timor extend beyond
> > English (US or AU or otherwise) and Portuguese. (Europe).
> >
> > While I am hoping that this project will be standalone and enourage
> > the use of GNU and associated software and will be backing it up with
> > preinstalled and configured PC\'s for use of the Department of Social
> > services in Dilli. Beyond that we hope to instigate an ongoing
> > \"barefoot administrators project\" which is currently being assesed
> > for sponsor ship by the AU gov\'t ..(so far the response has been
> > positive). The essential approach will be to teach them to teach
> > themselves, the\"stuff\" they need and want not what we think they
> > should do. I hope to be able to deliver interfaces and approaches that
> > are readily, or even preferentially accepted by the \"general computer
> > user\" in East Timor.
> >
> > I have had some expressions of interest and access to people who spek
> > Tetum / English and Tetum / Portuguese. I would see my role as mostly
> > hand holding and probably the po files :)
> >
> > Tetum language interfaces (and more) would of course ease this journey
> > .. I would also hope to do dictionary DBs and similar ..and would hope
> > all of the language / translation work could be handled from the one
> > site.
> >
> > It goes on and on but by now you have the gist.
> > Happily send more details if required.
> >
> > Pete

Romana Challans

State Coordinator
Computerbank Australia Incorporated - Sa Branch
http://sa.computerbank.org.au/