Re: Proposals and information

>> I absolutely agree. I'm quite certain that the biggest constraint in
>> this, and similar, projects will be finding enough motivated people to
>> volunteer their time and effort.
>>
>> Terry
>
>Perhaps not!
>
>Is it feasible to enlist Linux User Group members for on the job
>training to deal with getting the hardware in order and installing the
>basic system?  Say 45 minutes to an hour for lecture/demonstration and
>another couple of hours of hands-on. That would only require one or two
>technically competent people, and only entail a half day commitment per
>week.

Umm. Installing the system is not a big deal. I have been looking at
RedHat's kickstart which allows automated batch installs from a config
file. Essentially one puts in a boot floppy and presses reset and
it goes. You can even put in custom commands to be executed to load
additional RPMs, do machine specific customisation, etc. There is no
job security in being a Linux installer. Bank clerks have a brighter
future. :-)

>Training the end users could be handled similarly. Once the system is up
>and running (with X and ppp) 99% of the 'trauma' has been eliminated.
>You could guide them through the essential basic in a half-day workshop,
>and have a separate mailing list specifically for them.

That's what we techies like to think. In the real world there will be
wide variations between users. My friend is tutoring a couple who had
never seen a word processor before. Fortunately they picked it up very
fast, and they have a student age daughter.

>The only potential glitch that I see is their Internet connection. It
>might be best to have a team to check their set up when it is delivered.
>But all the machines should be tested on a working connection before
>leaving the shop, so it should be just a matter of editing the scripts.

We must remember these are people who who not only did not have a
computer but may not have the background we do. The kind of people in
short supply are the hand-holders, not the techies.

	Ken