Re: [Computerbank] Tasmania

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 10:19:21PM +1030, David Lloyd imparted:

> Michael,
>
> >   I was just wondering what would be involved in getting a Tasmanian
> >   (or more to the point a Hobart) branch of the computerbank
> >   happening?
>
> Putting it bluntly, a whole lot of work. Most of it will go totally
> unnoticed and it will be mostly thankless. But if you keep the goal "To
> create a Computerbank type scheme in Tasmania" in mind and eventually
> achieve it, it will fall in place.
>
> Talk to romana [at] timelady.com who is (ir)responsible for the creation
> of Computerbank in South Australia and she'll back my claims up big time
> ;-)

or shaun at pcuse.com, as cofounder of the insanity here, he could tell
a lot...

yes, its a whole lot of work and frustration. but infinitiely
rewarding:)

heres a few learnt lessons:

avoid politics of personality - oddly enough, despite a few rocky
patches, mostly sa is free of that, and as a result, we are positively
blooming:) personality clashes will hold you back - compromise,
compromise

people are frustrating. linux is an unknown. KNOPPIX IS YOUR FRIEND!

talk to other groups - learn from them - cbvics documentation and
experience were great starting points for us, they have been a fantastic
resource in terms of assistance advice and ideas - and templates.

documentation sucks. but dont attempt things without it - its too damn
confusing.

try to get more than one person to do all the work - but understand, in
the beginning, you will be it..

a group is only as effective as the leadership - be that one person or a
team (team is better imho), what comes from the organisers keeps vols
interested and motivated - and thats a constant need

make it rewarding to volunteers - make the process theirs too

tap into our publicity etc - use whats in place to launch yourself

understand there will be recipients who will make you feel rotten. then
there are the other 99% who make you feel amazing:)

FIND STORAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

cheap premises are hard to come by - community centers are a great
start.

dont operate out of someones home. its bloody hard. only an idiot would
volunteer their home;) meetings for vols are fine, but everything else
isnt.

look at the vic model - look at our new model - look at the cbnsw and
computer angels model. now grab all the best bits and work ot what works
for your state.

start small. you wont be able to (DAMMIT!!!) help everyone immediately.

be patient with yourself. miracles take longer.

enjoy yourself!!!!:)

bloody hardware.

we are here for any support we can offer on an ongoing basis mate - i
personally encourage you 100%

besides, ive always wanted a trip to tasmania;)

wit and wisdom bought to you pre caffeine, so mea culpa for any errors
in advance!

r:)
--
Romana Challans