[Computerbank] User Support Help required in Melbourne

Hello,

We have a number of user support issues...and we are looking into
trialling a new way of dealing with them...we are asking the Linux
community (in Melbourne) to help us respond to these.

Some can be handled via telephone call and some will require in house
attention.

For people wanting to help the skills required are: Linux desktop
knowledge (advanced), some back end Debian/Linux knowledge (not always
required, but sometimes the level of back end knowledge is advanced),
patience, and problem solving skills. Some research and travel may also
be required.

Volunteers who undertake user support will be required to attend a
Computerbank Client Orientation Workshop (can be held online).

Contact details for Computerbank clients will be provided to volunteers
who wish to help out. Problems will be described in a general
sense...the onus on the volunteer to find out more information.

We see this as a good opportunity to get the wider Linux community
involved in solving average 'end user' real life Linux problems - a way
to find out what users needs are, and how to go about meeting them in
the best way.

Our first issue is this:

User is housebound, financially disadvantaged, and lives in the Western
burbs. They require assistance with Mozilla Mail. User claims that when
Mozilla mail is started the screen saver kicks in. Weird. User has been
advised to disable the screen saver. Not ideal solution. Needs more
investigation, user might need to describe the problem again. This one
requires a lot of patience and a support person who can walk through a
problem at snails pace. Platform is Knoppix Debian (Unstable) custom
setup (KDE 3.2). Mail /Web browser client is Mozilla 1.7 (?). User also
requires installation of mplayer and codecs. Other problems may also
exist.

If you can help, contact either Con (cvalidas@yahoo.com.au) or I for
further information.

Cheers,