Re: [Computerbank] Printing to an ink-jet / bubble jet from slackware3.5

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, David Buddrige wrote:

[SNIP]

>With her computer, I was not getting any response from the printer - even
>after logging on as root and
>typing:
>
>cat somefile.txt > /dev/lp1
Yep no go.

>I got absolutely no response from the printer.
>
>So then, I disconnected the printer cable, and typed:
>
>cat somefile.txt > /dev/lp1
>Today, in preperation for tomorrow's visit to this client, I got another
>Computer Angels computer configured with exactly the same software, and
>connected my own HP-Deskjet 600 to it, in order to see if I could get it to
>print.  Running the command:
>
>lpr somefile.txt
>
>certainly did *something* in that the printer went through the motions of
>printing, except that it did not print anything resembling the contents of
>somefile.txt.
>
>My questions however is this:
>
>1. How does one go about printing straight text files under linux. What
>configuration needs to be done?

if the printer accepts plain text input the all that is required is
echo "sometext" > /dev/lp

however the days of printers accepting plain ascii seem to be disappearing fast

so the only method to talk to a printer is via some sort of printer control language.

>2. How does one go about configuring a gnu/linux system such that it can
>print postscript - or at least, documents that are not just straight text,
>ie. with fonts, etc....from Netscape, or emacs?

ghostscript is your friend

basically you hgave to configure a printer that converts he text and ps into the language that the printer talks there is a filter which exists for cannon bj 600's which should work IIRC

if you're still stuck email me a phone no and we can have a quick chat tonight. it's still early there right?

>As an aside, if anyone has heard of a problem whereby the symptom is that
>even if you run the command (as root)
>
>cat somefile.txt > /dev/lp1
>
>A properly connected printer does nothing, I would be greatly interested in
>any words of wisdom.

I've configured this printer before it had me stumped for an hour or so

[SNIP]

Grant Diffey aka "nevyn"

President of Computerbank Victoria Inc.
http://www.computerbank.org.au/