Re: [Computerbank] finding a "local" Linux expert in regional areas

Hello Bruce, and others,

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Bruce McCubbery wrote:

> At 14:27 25/09/01 +1000, Tuan Dao wrote:
> >I think the best place to start with is a local or nearby Linux user group.

> Yes, it seems so, but the question is, "Where outside the metro
> areas are they? How can we interest them?"

I am both Melbourne, and North East Victoria. There is a building
interest from Wangaratta through to Mount Beauty. I have friends in
Wang, Myrtleford and around Bright, but we are all relative beginners.
Getting beginners together is a start, as we can all find different
things and share them and learn faster than on our own. My major problem
is spending too much time helping M$ Windows users, and not enough using
Linux myself. I also have a full time job in Melbourne and looking after
my father and a country property near Bright. While I do rent a unit in
Melbourne, the travel times eat into the weekends.

I would suggest that there be an endeavour to find the scattered Linux
users, and help put locals in touch with one another. From this, groups
can form that can support Computerbank.

I also see a need for real beginners books, not the "Dummies" or the
"Pocketbooks". They are a start, but I see a need for something that
introduces the underlying philosopies and structures. With a sound
understanding of the foundations, a lot of the rest is much easier, it
fits a pattern.

Comparing to driving a car, while it is far from necessary to be able to
rebuild the engine, it does help to understand how it works. Having made
one, possibly unsuccessful, attempt at a major mechanical service task,
there is a much better appreciation and respect for the mechanicals.
Similarly, having had a go at panel beating tends to reduce the
accidents.

Regards,	Mark Trickett