Re: Basic strategies for winning almost every map

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Jens Granseuer wrote:

On 28.03.2005 22:31, Jonathan Koren wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Jens Granseuer wrote:
Introducing resource-dependency or ammonition shortage might help.

Nah, let's try to keep the rules simple.

Keeping the rules simple is good, but I've always thought way too many games simply don't deal with logistics in any sense at all. I think the only game I played recently that had any concept of logistics was Earth 2150, and all that had was ammunition. I would like to play a game that made me deal with ammunition, fuel, repair/medical, terrain, weather, all that stuff. Crimson Fields will never be that game, and that's okay, but sometimes my inner geek yearns.

I can understand that, up to a point. Also, when I say no, always keep in mind that I also said no when translations were first proposed... ;-) Sometimes things just need some time to sink in.

You're talking to a guy that likes table top games that take 20 minutes to resolve damage. Not so much the 20 minute part, but rather the part that says, "Your port side auxillary fusion generator is operating at 22% with a mean time to failure of 6 turns. You also have a coolent leak that is leaking at a rate of 60 cubic liters per minute. The tank will be exhausted in 2 turns. Oh and the leak is inducing a yaw force of 6 newtons, causing you to expend this much fuel just to maintain your current atittude." :)

But carriers are useful today! Granted, there are no maps where they make
a real difference but that's another issue. You know that carriers can
repair craft, don't you?

I know that. But once you capture a base, you don't really need them. Well, I guess the base might not have crystals, but you know.

The other thing I was thinking about was that some of the tiles feature structures, but the structures don't actually do anything. I'm talking about the dirt airfield and the seaport tiles specifically. I know there there to make the maps look cooler, but it would be nice if they did something. I don't really care either way. I was just thinking about ways to increase the level of strategy involved, and I figured strategically placed airbases might be a way.

The intrduction of airbases would mean that only certain structures would be able to accept airplanes. Anything could take land units, but not everyone could take airplanes. Sort of like how you can park tank at the mall, but you can't land an f-15 there.

Right know, subs are just strong ships with nice
long-range torpedoes. IMO that justifies their use even without
stealth capabilities, but if there's considerable disagreement I'm
willing to reconsider.

They seem kind of redundant given torpedo boats have long range capabilities. The fact that a subs imply stealth, but the subs don't actually have stealth. It wouldn't be an issue if they were a surface ship, say a cruiser, but as it is, they seeem kind of crippled, or as I said, redundant.

--
Jonathan Koren World domination? I'll leave that to the jkoren@xxxxxxxxxx religious nuts and Republicans, thank you.
http://www.cs.siu.edu/~jkoren/ -- The Monarch, "Venture Brothers"