Re: FNA campaign story

On 31.07.2004 21:00, FlashFashion wrote:
Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 30.07.2004 20:28, FlashFashion wrote:
>> Jens Granseuer wrote:
> It's not the infantry that's making me uneasy. I don't think I want
> another ranged unit at all (except for the Battle Ships). Ranged attack
> should be special and valuable, and if we have too many units with this
> ability, it might just get too 'normal'.

I know it isn`t another infantry... because you have an candidate for it.
Bring it through, shouldn`t you :)
Oh well, should I?
Any other opinions on this?

Well, maybe I am just too familiar of starcraft or red alert in which proper
use of good shoot range unit, mostly used to back up for those cheap and
short shoot range units, would decide weather the player would complete
a mission easily or with difficulty.
There is at least one major difference which makes strategies and tactics
rather different. In those RTS games you start with some amount of resources
and have to build your army from scratch. You have to take build time into
consideration, and all factions need to have roughly the same potential or
the game will be very unbalanced. We, on the other hand, can let the player
start with whatever we want him to. He doesn't necessarily get new recruits,
either. As long as all units have some useful traits all of them are valuable.
There is no such thing as cheap cannon fodder. And therefore units with
ranged attacks are even more precious as they can cause mayhem without
getting harmed themselves, thus conserving material.