Re: My first map "Clean sweep" -> Now "Manhunt"

On 13.08.2004 12:56, Marcus Schreiner wrote:
> * "Admiral" is a Navy rank, so it's a little baffling to see one in
>   charge at the center of a continent...

Since I did not attend military service all I know about ranks I learned
from Star Trek.
They are a navy, too. Ever wonder why it's called Starfleet?

So he will become a General?
Yes, please.

There's a river next to the HQ for the Admiral...
;-)

> * I'd not even mention the river in passing. It's not important and
>   IMO just makes it look too similar to OmyarGorge.

You think, if I don't bring up the river in the briefing nobody will notice
it? ;-)
Yeah, something like that.

> * I feel that dividing the land into sectors like Q-123 is more
>   appropriate for the Empire. This is (or at least once was) FNA
>   home turf so they are much more likely to think of it in
>   geographical terms like "ABC Valley" or "the plains between A
>   and B" or so.

But is it not military usage to divide a war zone into sectors to be free of
imprecise geographical names?
Probably. I don't know. The Nexians had a long period of peace, maybe
they are not used to it any more. Still, that was just what came to
my mind when I read the briefing. Feel free to ignore it if you want.

> * And finally, we're still pretty much at the start of the campaign.
>   That means the FNA still doesn't have a huge army with lots of
>   heavy gear. Therefore something like Operation Hailstorm (at
>   least the way I imagine it) is unlikely to happen at this point.
>   Maybe you could just make it sound a little less BIG, if you
>   know what I mean.

Okay, new suggestions:
- op. rain shower
- op. pinprick
- ... LEO does not have any better suggestions. What do you have in mind,
Jens?
Hm, actually, I haven't been talking about the name, but you're
probably right that it should be changed, too. Or maybe just use
something vague like 'in recent operations' or so. What bothered
me more than that was 'the imperial infrastructure ... has taken severe
damage'. It sounds very large-scale. You could simply reduce it
by saying 'the two main routes out of <city> into the north have
been destroyed/damaged/whatever'. That feels smaller IMO.

> * Oh, I almost forgot. I'm also voting for another name change.
>   Manhunt is something like an army against one man, right? I
>   must admit that I still have to think of a better one, though.

How about "Mantrap"?
How about "The General" instead? Or give him some codename/nickname
and call it "The Jackal"... you get the idea.

One more thing. You should display another message at the end of the
mission. Has the General been captured? Killed? Escaped? There's
nothing to wrap it up right now.

And a suggestion for a follow-up: FNA interrogators make Wintok
spill some info about an understaffed airbase not too far away. As
the FNA themselves have no aircraft yet, this presents a nice
opportunity...

Jens