Re: Campaign Story

On 17.08.2004 00:01, Dave Fancella wrote:
On Sunday 15 August 2004 01:33 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> I like it. But I'm not quite sure how you intend the setbacks to look like.
> Do the Nexians really lose a map (if so, the campaign system doesn't
> support that, yet) or do they win the map, but the greater story later
> tells them that this battle wasn't that important after all and the Empire
> made advances on a different battlefield?

Hmm, not sure about the setbacks, but you probably don't want to have the story later on tell the player that battle wasn't important after all. ;) Better to have the player start the map knowing what he's up against then tell him later on "Oh yeah, that map you did such a job on? Doesn't matter at all, don't know why you even played it". ;)
What's the difference?

I'm not really sure how to make setbacks happen for a player that has to literally win each map to play the next. On the other hand, allowing for one side or the other to win each map either takes us back into branching campaign stories, or finds us with some maps that just plain don't make sense in the story.
Isn't having scenarios the player must _lose_ really pointless? And yes,
the branching stuff scares me.

Jens