Re: Campaign Story Revised

On Thursday 26 August 2004 01:15 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > Act four:
> > First map:  The Battle for the Enolian Air Fields.
>
> On the map it looks like the air fields are south of the plains. The
> General takes place on the plains, however (probably where you placed
> the Kand HQ). That way they would likely already have stumbled across
> the air fields.

The force that fights the General is the force that moved up along the
mountains.  I tried to place the air fields out of their path so they could
fight the general to learn about the air fields, and then go for the air
fields.  So there's two main bodies of FNA troops, the body that's stuck in
Lula, and the body that went northwest and found Area 51, the Scientist, and
hooked up with LFNK, and then fights the General.  The air fields can be
relocated as needed to make this work, but the Kand HQ on the map is intended
to be where the General is fought, and located on the plains somehow.  The
map I made doens't show how far the plains extend (intentionally, I might
add, same with the mountains), so the air fields can also be on the plains,
technically.

It would be neat to have a special unit that only the LFNK uses that shows up
on the maps afterward the hookup, and then have a map before the betrayal
with Kand using that unit, as a way of foreshadowing the betrayal.  Scouts,
maybe?  Or a new unit entirely?  (Yes, I'm planning on rearranging the
timeline a bit in a minute, there's not enough time right now between the
discovery of the LFNK and the betrayal, so it feels like a contrived plot
device just to create more battles)

Also, at the betrayal there should be a division of LFNK as well, where some
of LFNK decides to fight for freedom instead of selling out and stays with
FNA.  Really, FNA needs the additional troops, and this is a good way to
provide them within the story, but I like what it adds to the story.  ;)
Maybe hide them in a neutral bunker?  Ooo, can we have neutral bunkers that
only one side can take?  That way, that side *can* have reinforcements, and
the other side can't steal them?

Another thing that would be interesting, but I don't know if you really want
to do it, would be to have some sort of loyalty factor where troops in the
armies that oppose FNA might convert mid-battle to the FNA.  It would be cool
to have, but might make the story too intrusive to the game.

> Sorry, I have no idea what Sarph Rift is referring to. And I'm not sure
> about Omyar Gorge, either. Maybe we should just let it sit for a while? In
> the end, it doesn't _have_ to get into the campaign. If we get enough maps
> without it, that's fine.

Pulled from your first post in response to the first round of the campaign
story:

"I'd place Marcus' map around the end of act 2. The intel obtained from the
general could result in 1) aircraft and 2) a cunning plan to outflank the
corridor (for which the Sarph rift seems to be a natural choice).
Omyar Gorge is probably somewhere near the end of act 3, then."

I don't know which maps are which, right now, and I used this post as a guide
to placing them in the story, trusting to your comment on them.  ;)  But I
chose to combine your two options, and create intelligence from the General
that points to the buried air fields, and then the aircraft is used to
outflank the corridor and take Lula, and then advance upon Ultha.

> Not much more to add right now.
>
> Where can I get the book? ;-)

Heh.  I have been wanting to write a sci-fi novel for some time.....  Baen
promises to read every book submitted and to publish the ones that are
good.....

Dave

--
Visit my website!
http://www.davefancella.com/?event=em

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
		-- Blaise Pascal