Re: [Not About Game] Just being curious...

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 9:36 am, tangyen wrote:
> Sorry, this question should not be asked here,
> but, I can`t help myself from doing so...
>
> How many holidays do you have in your country?

US:  Varies.  "Standard", as in "this is what you expect when you've worked
somewhere for a couple of years" is some holidays, usually 3 a year plus
Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Then 1-3 weeks of vacation per year.  Whether or
not you get paid also varies.  Generally, the more money you make, the more
likely you are to get paid for holidays.  In states with a significant Jewish
population, they've worked out systems where they give personal holidays,
which is some allotment of paid holidays every year and you apply them where
you want to.  That sort of thing benefits everyone, of course, but it's
interesting that it came about by Jewish groups lobbying because of the
favoritism generally played towards Christian holidays which forced Jewish
workers to work on their holidays and take off on Christian holidays.

If you work for the state or the federal government, you usually get at least
one paid holiday per month, where Thanksgiving and Christmas are the holidays
for those months (November and December).  You also get 3-5 weeks of vacation
per year.  Hours vary, but for regular office work you can expect a maximum
of 36 hours.  For labor-type work you can expect 45 or more, as needed.
Government agencies tend to have budgets that they have to spend, or else
next year their budget is decreased, and they don't mind spending it on their
employees.

Hours per week varies dramatically, but 40 hours is the point after which you
get paid overtime.  Some states also require you to earn overtime if you work
more than 8 hours in a day, but I don't live in such a state.  Most companies
try to limit overtime, but most employers try to work their employees around
42 hours a week because employees tend to prefer to be at the point where if
they're asked to work any longer, they get paid extra.  But I've seen 32-36
hours as the standard full-time allotment quite a few times.  32 is the point
where some states have laws that require benefits to be offered for full-time
work, and is also a common figure for companies to use otherwise to determine
what makes a person full-time and what doesn't.

That big UPS strike we had a decade ago or so was all about how UPS would work
their employees 25-29 hours per week so they didn't have to pay benefits and
hire a bunch of seasonal work instead of letting their regular employees work
more hours when they needed them the most.  There are other companies that
still do that sort of thing, even though UPS got bitch-slapped for it.

Personally, I don't usually get any holidays.  But I work for a school now,
which means I get lots of holidays--but none of them are paid, so they amount
to forced time off.  And I'm not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week.
I've also worked for at least one guy who used some loopholes that included
the small business size to pay me less than federal minimum wage and work me
60+ hours a week with no overtime.  I worked for another guy who actually
asked you to work overtime without pay at all, and if you said no he'd
eventually fire you for some unrelated reason.  He did eventually fire me for
some unrelated reason.  :)  I'd like to say these guys are exceptions, but I
can't.  They're not the rule either, but there's a reason I've taken to
calling it the "Exploitation Market".

Dave