Re: Background story

On 11.02.2004 10:59, Dave Fancella wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 05:44 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> > > In the year of 2162, Jens Rasmussen piloted a test craft
> > > [...]
> > > In the year 2473, the Island of Tyarin invaded it's nearest neighbor,
> > > Kerlo. [...]
> > > Now finally united, the people of Nexus built a new capital city, the
> > > city of Allantha.  Looking forward to another period of prosperity, they
> > > once again began looking to the skies, wondering if there were any
> > > surviving humans left in the galaxy.
> > >
> > > In the year of 2483, the Kandelians arrived.
> >
> > I believe the numbers need some sorting out. We need to fix either the
> > mission description in Uprising or rework the timeline a bit.
> > Uprising says the Kandelians arrive in 2483 F.A., ie. 2483 years after the
> > foundation of Allantha, which apparently is a completely different
> > calendar. Right now it seems like adapting Uprising is easier, but I'd
> > still like to keep a different calendar for Nexus. It really shows how
> > disconnected they have been, doesn't it?
>
> No problem, really.  Since Nexus got split off from the main branch of man, I
> can just move the founding of Allantha to that year and edit what is now the
> foundation of Allantha to be a rebuilding of that great city.  Has more
> romanticism in it that way, I think.  :)

Does that make sense? If Allantha was founded 2487 years ago, and New
Allantha is rebuilt now this means that Allantha must have been a city
on Earth, right? Then, if you built New York (i.e. rebuilt York), and
are separated from Britain by both space and time for quite a few
generations (not to mention that the sun sets in the middle of the night),
would you base your time-keeping on that in York?

The 2487 of Allantha simply clashes with the other numbers which are Earth
years. The simplest solution I can see is to move the arrival of the Kandelians
to something like 26 F.A., though that's a really small number. If you
consider that, some 80 years or so of peace isn't all that much, so maybe
the arrival of the Kandelians should be pushed back a bit, let's say to
sometime around 2700 or 2800 in Earth terms. Then we could set the year
to something like 267 F.A. and in that case we should probably also change
the year of the Third Emperor to maybe 919 or so.

Jens