Re: Translation System

On 10.01.2005 18:09, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> Another point that might CF benifit from is 'charset conversion'. Gettext is
> able to transparently transform strings between different charsets
> (UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP 1252, etc). The language files could be written with
> any codeset and CF got always UTF-8 strings.

Well, we could do this as well if we used multiple files. In fact, one of my
first attempts supported both UTF-8 and 8859-1 but that system was going to be
doomed when the first 8859-2 language came along (which, it turned out, lurked
just around the corner) so I dumped it again, but I don't think the limitation
to UTF-8 is a problem in any case.

> I think I will have a look on how translations work in CF and how gettext
> could do the job. Maybe there is a sollution for your 'one mission file' and
> 'one unit set file' requirement.

It would be nice to know whether it's possible but on the other hand I
don't think we have a problem with the current system so I'm not sure this
would be time well spent. Then again it's your time so I guess you get to
choose. ;)

Jens