Release Plans (was: Re: [BUG] Strange behavior when selecting levels)

On 19.01.2005 12:58, Marcus Schreiner wrote:
> > When we are at it, what's your plan on future releases? The 0.4.7
> > should have most of the Yalwa Campaign complete (according to the list
> > archives, most of the existing maps can be put together to form at
> > least torso of the campaign) and also most of the tutorial campaign (I
> > have almost whole month of free time (passed those exams last week :-)
> > ) -- I will try to do this).
> >
> > Then we should concentrate on polishing the maps and squashing the
> > bugs and go for 0.5.0 with two complete campaigns, what do you say?

I'd say that's a pretty ambitious timeline unless we can recruit some
as yet hidden army of mappers. And if more people start making maps
I don't expect myself to have much time left for mapping. As you can
see when looking at the current situation, a single mapper can easily
swamp me with ideas upon ideas of nice things to add. And multiple
mappers probably mean multiplication of suggestions ;)
(In fact, right now, I'd be happy if we managed to add one map per
release to the Yalwa campaign.)

Speaking of 0.5.0, I don't yet know what could justify the jump. Two
completed campaigns probably would but I don't expect that to happen
soon. Network play could be another major feature if Sascha really
starts to work on it. If none of this happens we'll probably stay
at 0.4.x for a while.

> In the next weeks I wanted to start a new map, perhaps somebody (Dave?) can
> tell me which part of the campaign story is not covered with an existing
> map, so that I have a background on what hte map has to look like.

IIRC the final consensus was that we won't reuse any of the existing maps
except The General for the campaign. Most won't easily fit anyway or
would have to be rewritten in large parts. So it looks like we don't cover
all that much, yet. My preference, however, would be to build the campaign
from beginning to end in the proper chronological order, so I'd propose
doing the sequel to Swords & Plowshares if that suits you.

Jens