Re: New Tileset, the second

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:42:02 +0000
Jens Granseuer <jensgr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23.01.2005 21:51, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> > I made some progress with my tileset and attached it for review. I
> > attached the *.tsrc file as well, because I started to add a file
> > description to it that might be useful for others.
>
> How about adding this information to the wiki? That's what it's
> there for.

Didn't know that you have a wiki for that. Sorry, but I didn't read all
of your internet pages. I will see what I can do.

> Also, concerning the last tile in the file, combining "forbidden"
> with other terrain is rather pointless. In fact, now that I think
> about it, the "forbidden" type should probably be removed
> altogether. You get the same effect when you don't declare any
> terrain at all...

Didn't know what I did excactly here :-) No vehicle should be able
to enter the tile and I didn't know how to do this exactly. I thought
the terrain option is mandatory, isn't it?

> > I also made a demo level so that you could see the tiles in action :-)
> If you had also sent the src I could even have checked it out ;-)

Comet only saved the *.lev file I sent. I had a second look and
exported the level and got the *.src file. I attached it for your information
but keep in mind this map should only show the new tiles.

> If your intention is to convey a feeling of, hm, bleakness, I'd say
> you're doing pretty fine. Some interesting stuff, too.

My design uses more decent colors and is intended to look as a aerial
photograph. Some of the tiles might not as good as they could do,
but for the first approach...

> The mountains are really starting to look good. If you manage to
> improve them a little more it would be great if you could do some
> for the default set as well.

What in detail is wrong with the mountains?

The single mountain has two peaks and I will change that to a single
peak. Also a very big mountain is planned (7 Tiles). In this context
you could think a bit about the possibility to place a multi-tile in once
in comet.

> Some of the transitions look a bit odd to me, and the shallow water
> looks really... chemical?

I have currently three terrain forms: willow, grassland and desert.
Grassland is nearly complete. Willow (the dark green tiles) contains
only the basic tiles yet. Desert is more in a experimental state. I haven't
designed any special transition tiles yet. The existing ones might be
usefull but far from perfect.

I picked the color for the shallow water from a holiday picture of a dream
beach. If it looked chemical the tourists would have a problem. :-)

 Matthias