Re: Terrain info

On 06.07.2005 20:18, Andrej Krivulčík wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:24:57 +0200, Jens Granseuer <jensgr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, the movement cost is the same for all units, too, so...
>
> This looks like we don't have to state these in each unit's info dialog
> :-).
>
> But consider changing this. For example I think that infantry should be
> able to go through dense forest or walk on dirt road faster than heavy
> tanks. This would definitely need some extra balancing but I think that
> it's not that hard to implement.

It's not that hard to do but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. At
least, noone seems to have bothered until now (and it looks like you
might not even have noticed that it's not that way ;-))

> > A full-blown help system is a lot of work, and while I don't want to
> > rule it out for the future I don't want to tackle it right now. Anyway,
> > whether we create a help system or just a terrain info dialog (which
> > might be integrated into the help system later on), we need to answer
> > very much the same questions: what, where, and how.
>
> Well, if I want to have information on terrain, I want to know as much as
> possible: The image (on the map, perhaps also a "portrait", if we find
> some artist :-) ), movement cost and also combat modifiers (exact
> numbers). The info dialog should be accesible the same way like the unit
> info dialog (i.e. by right clicking on a hex and selecting an entry). If a
> player right-clicks on a unit, a menu will have to appear like on
> transporters (instead of showing unit info directly or displaying the
> "Access denied" window). The important thing is to be able to get info
> about terrain below an enemy unit.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that it's very easy to implement.
What I don't like, though, is that it makes it harder to get at the unit
info, which you'd want to view more often, I'd suppose. I know for sure
that extra click is going to annoy me.

Jens