Re: Terrain info

On 13.07.2005 00:59, Andrej Krivulčík wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:38:07 +0200, Jens Granseuer <jensgr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 12.07.2005 12:13, Marko Skofljanec wrote:
> >> Attack and defence modifiers are shown next to the attack strengths and
> >> defence value.
> >
> > That starts to look very crowded as sson as you come to long-ranged
> > units. Artillery will give you something like "25 (2-6) +10%"...
> > And since the modifiers are actually properties of the terrain, not
> > the unit, I think that's where they should be, anyway.
>
> It's not wrong IMHO, as the attack strength of the unit is still 25, but
> it's just raised by 10% (well, it is because the unit is standing on a
> particular tile, but it is changed and looking for terrain modifiers in
> another window would mean another trouble for the player).

It's not wrong, but it looks bad. And I don't advocate making another
window. I just say that I like your mockup better than Marko's in that
respect.

> > The question is: If I have a unit
> > selected and bring up the terrain info dialog, what does it show?
> > Suppose you have a tank and some infantry. You want to know
> > whether the infantry can cross the hex the tank occupies. How do
> > you do that? A right-click on the tank will get you the tank
> > stats. We could say if another unit is selected we display the
> > stats for that unit, but that'd be pretty ugly IMO.
>
> The same idea came also to my mind and I find it quite useful. If you
> select an infantry and right-click on an empty tile, we should display
> unit info for the infantry as if it was standing on the clicked tile. If
> you right-click on a unit (be it friend or foe) with infantry selected, we
> should also display this information (just as if the infantry would be on
> the another unit's place).

I don't want to do that. The way I play, a very common situation is
that I have a unit selected and then start to think about where to go
or what to attack. And I'd imagine people not so familiar with the game
will want to know the enemy units' values for that. If we followed your
proposal the only way to get at that info would be to deselect my unit,
get the info, select my unit again, and then attack. Ugh!

> Another way of displaying movement cost (not combat modifiers) would be
> displaying it directly in the map while selecting movement. When you click
> on a destination hex, the movement cost for the hex (or all the hexes
> along the way) would be shown. Quick and informative.

It's quick, I can agree to that, but is it informative? When actually
moving the cost of individual hexes doesn't matter at all since all
hexes you may go to are clearly marked that way. In fact, movement cost
is probably the least useful number of the bunch!

Jens