Re: Campaigns revisited

On Saturday 13 March 2004 02:16 pm, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> b) Campaigns in multiplayer
> b1) When playing a campaign against the computer, maps will get
> harder the farther the campaign progresses. This means that later
> maps will not be balanced for multiplayer.

Is it really necessary for the maps to get harder the farther the campaign
progresses?  Not that I object, the underlying assumption is usually that the
player gets better with each progressive map.  I ask because I'm really in to
story-driven games, and it makes sense to me that the maps should only get
harder or easier if the story requires it.  Some campaigns make perfect sense
that the maps would get more complicated, because the assumption is that the
player is playing the FNA, and the FNA and the revolution in general should
be growing with each victory, allowing for more units to be put in the field
and larger battles fought, hence the battles themselves get more complicated,
although not necessarily harder.  I guess you'd have to define 'harder'.
Because if you're defining 'harder' as 'more complicated', then I think this
is a non-issue.  :)

> b2) Multiplayer campaigns get really complex. When playing
> against the computer the player will only advance to the next map
> if he wins. You can still have branches (e.g. a map with two main
> objectives, and choose the next map depending on which one the
> player accomplished). In multiplayer you'd basically need to
> provide a branch for each map. That doesn't seem feasible.

The two main problems I see with branching are the pure number of maps needed
and making sure the story is always consistent in any path the players go
through.  So that makes branching for two player campaigns somewhat beyond
the current level of development, but not an unachievable goal in the future.
Is it possible to allow for branching now, but have campaigns single player
so that we could allow two-player campaigns later with branching?  You know,
later when there are more maps?

> That's why I propose to make campaigns single-player only.
>
> (In that case we could actually call difficulty levels "easy",
> "medium", and "hard" for campaigns. We'd still need names for
> single-map games, though)

Well, to be honest I think that every map should be in a campaign, which is
why I think that single-map mode should open up every map for play.  :)

It occurs to me that maybe all maps should be available only in two player
games, and single player only allows campaign play.

> c) Difficulty for campaign maps in multiplayer (single-map) games.
> As mentioned before, campaign maps tend to be biased. Do we just
> accept that as it is or can we do something about it? If we live
> with it, I guess that means we need to keep the (1) or (2) player
> markers in the map list.

Well, to be honest, right now my preference is to have all maps available in
single-map mode just because there aren't a lot of maps (and those of us who
first heard of battle isle heard about it in the description of crimson
fields don't happen to have any battle isle maps laying around to play).

Anyway, I'm not certain that campaign maps have to biased, but how biased the
maps are depends entirely on how good the AI is, so my thinking here is that
since the intent is to make the AI much better and more configurable then
it's too early to be able to really fine-tune a map for the AI vs. a human
player and it's entirely possible that the target AI is good enough that the
balance issue won't be an issue at all.

Dave

--
Visit my website!
http://www.davefancella.com/?event=em

All diplomacy is a continuation of war by other means.
		-- Chou En Lai