Re: Development snapshot

On 24.03.2004 20:09, Patrick Forhan wrote:
> The real question is whether the current handicap is useful.  Does it make games
> more balanced between novice and expert players?  Does it make single player
> maps easier and harder while still leaving a chance for losing or winning?  I
> think it will just take more playtesting to really find out.

My tests so far seem to confirm that it's ok for some maps (the balanced ones)
but changes difficulty to much on maps like Anthill or Revelation. I also made
a stab at manipulating the odds according to the handicap which someone (Patrick?)
suggested but the result was about the same, the main difference being that you
have finer control over the change in difficulty. However, there is no setting
that fits all maps, so we'd have to make it configurable, and frankly, if we
go for that much flexibility, I'd rather go all the way and use events. It's a
bit more work to implement it (the groundwork's already there, but we'd need a
few more events/triggers) but this system allows for maximum flexibility
and extensibility and works with any kind of map.

Jens