Re: system logic fault (moving units into a building)

On Sunday 27 March 2005 05:04 am, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 25.03.2005 12:16, Mathias Schindler wrote:
> > when plaing Lankh Valley, moving the artillery into the Bastron building
> > is a deadlock as it is impossible to get this artillery out of the
> > building again.
> >
> > It takes a hovercraft to get this unit inside the building (in order to
> > repair it) so it must be possible to get it out.
> >
> > I wonder if the only suitable fix (allowing to move units out of the
> > building into a carrier at the same move might alter the dynamics of the
> > game...
>
> It will certainly have an effect on gameplay, but IMO it would be for the
> better. We had a short discussion about moving units into transports
> inside of shops a while back, and we basically agreed it would be a good
> thing. The reason it's not yet possible is more of an UI issue than
> anything else. If someone manages to come up with a nice interface for
> doing it I'll give it a shot.

How about Civilization?  All sentried units essentially randomly end up in
each transport.  :)  Then you sentry a couple of units, move out the
transport, sentry a couple more, move out another transport.  Ummm, except I
don't think we have the "sentry" function in CF.

> In your particulr situation (Lankh Valley), though, I wonder whether
> hovercraft should be able to move through forest. I'd say they shouldn't
> (in fact, my first thought was that this is another glitch caused
> by the recent changes in the set creation processes, but it looks like
> it's been like that forever). I'm inclined to change that. Opinions?

I think hovercraft should be able to move over light forest and possibly
medium forest (they can go above the trees), but not over heavy forest (older
trees, too tall to go above, too thick to maneuver inside the forest).  How
many forest distinctions are there right now?  (I'm lazy, I don't pay
attention to terrain, that's why you kept getting aa tanks across the
mountains and around my line way back when)

Dave

--
Alimony is the high cost of leaving.