Re: Language detection

Дана Monday 02 November 2009 23:25:51 Jens Granseuer написа:
> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 17:09 +0100, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > Gnome doesn't use LANG and LC_* variables. Gnome uses ~/.dmrc file while
> > KDE is supposed to but, at least in older versions, doesn't.
>
> Yes, it does. It might use .dmrc to initialise the session, but all apps
> honour the LC_* vars just fine.

Hmm. I could swear that it didn't work that way, but it does. Maybe it didn't
in earlier versions.

> > I don't really see
> > how to do KDE language detection without doing KDE language detection,
> > and don't see why wouldn't it be done.
>
> The problem is there's about a gazillion different desktops out there,
> and if each one does it differently we'll end up in a maze of twisty
> little passages, all quite different, and none of them sufficiently
> well-tested to actually work. Too many code paths (that you can't even
> test properly at that) are hell. I don't want to go there.

Justh KDE and Gnome together cover a large majority of users, and of the rest
some are standard-compliant. I wouldn't be so worried. Any way, it is strange
not to try to cover what is probably the most used CF environment.