Re: [f-cpu] Register allocation when calling a function

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 08:14:52AM +0200, Yann Guidon wrote:
[...calling conventions...]
> However, i wouldn't make this mandatory.

No, it's a recommendation. But a necessary one.

[...]
> If there was a mandatory allocation, these advanced compilers (something that
> looks like a "synthesiser" in the ASIC world) won't be able to compile anything
> more than leaf functions. That would be pretty useless.

Inside an application, you (or your compiler) can (and should) choose
an appropriate calling convention. But if you're using binary modules
(e.g. system libraries), you need a well-defined interface -- because
you can't change them.