Re: [f-cpu] Winograd DCT on my seul.org account

> >If you run a program once and want the result as fast as possible,
> >a compiler is much better. But if you run it a million times, writing
> >assembler code becomes pretty cheap.
>
> Maybe we are not living in the same world? In my world
> products time to market is 6 to 12 months. The number
> of codelines by far exceed 50000. If you are late with
> the development or have performance impacts by design
> it really costs. For calculation the assembler to C/C++
> ratio is set to 20 in time and cost.

I was formerly an only-asm coder (I hated other languages), but I must admit it
is not a viable point of view, especially if we need to reinvent the wheel when
making assembly, whereas higher level language can help us to work on the
essential parts. Besides, assembly code is the most difficult to maintain -
just after the machine language of course ;).